Book Reviews, Crafting, Recipes ~ Anything and Everything in between.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bone #1 to #9 and Prequel

Title:  Bone Series ~ Book #1 to #9 and Prequel Rose
Author:  Jeff Smith
Finished: February 7, 2011
Edition: Paperback
Genre: Graphic Novel

I read this series as part of the  Take a Chance Challenge,  part #2, loved ones choice.  This challenge is being hosted by Life...With Books.

My son (now an older teen) started bugging me to read Bone when he was 9 or 10.  I've spent a long time procrastinating, always giving an excuse.  When I read part two of the challenge I knew exactly what it was I was going to read.  I figured the challenge is to get you to read something you wouldn't normally read and now I had the chance and it would also finally make my son happy.

I read the first book, finished it in a few hours and felt guilty that I would use something so easy for the challenge, so even though there were actually 10 different books, I'm counting this as just one read.



Bone #1 Out From Boneville

From the Publisher
After being run out of Boneville, the three Bone cousins - Fone Bone, Phoney bone, and Smiley Bone - are separated and lost in a vast, uncharted desert.  One by one, they find their way into a deep, forested valley filled with wonderful and terrifying creatures.
Eventually, the cousins are reunited at a farmstead run by tough Gran'ma Ben and her spirited granddaughter, Thorn.  Little do the Bones know, there are dark forces conspiring against them and their adventures are only just the beginning.


Bone #2 The Great Cow Race

From the Publisher
Fone Bone and his cousins plan to return home after visiting the village of Barrelhaven with Thorn and Gran'ma Ben.  Phoney Bone risks everything on one last get-rich-quick scheme for the town's annual Great Cow Race.  As usual, Phoney's plans go disastrously awry, and Boneville seems farther away than ever.
Meanwhile, ominous signs indicate that a war is brewing, and Fone Bone finds himself helping his friends defend their idyllic valley from a formidable enemy.


Bone #3 Eyes of the Storm

From the Publisher
Life in the valley isn't getting any easier for the Bones and their new found friends.  Lucius, Smiley, and Phoney are attacked by the rat creatures and barely make it back to Lucius's tavern.  then it doesn't take long before Phoney is back to his old tricks.
Back at the farm, Fone Bone and Thorn are troubled by strange dreams, and Gran'ma Ben's reaction is stranger still: She reveals long-kept secrets and unexpected dangers.  In fact, they may have to leave the farm forever.


Bone #4 Dragonslayer

From the Publisher
The forces of evil are growing stronger.  Could our heroes' worst enemy be Phoney Bone himself?


Bone #5 Rock Jaw: Master of the Eastern Border

From the Publisher
Fone and Smiley Bone try to return a rat creature cub to the mountains, where they meet yet another adversary: the sly and mighty mountain lion, Rock Jaw.


Bone #6 Old Man's Cave

From the Publisher
The showdown between the Hooded One and they people of the valley begins.  Thorn and Phoney Bone seem to be at the centre of the maelstrom.  Will they survive the Hooded One's sacrificial ceremony by the light of the blood moon?

Bone #7 Ghost Circles

From the Publisher
The Bones, Gran'ma Ben, Thorn, and their loyal rat creature cub venture on a journey through the mysterious ghost circles to Atheia, the old city of the royal family.  One wrong step could change the valley's fate forever . . . .

Bone #8  Treasure Hunters

From the Publisher
The Bone cousins, Gran'ma Ben, and Thorn reach the city of Atheia, where they prepare to battle The Lord of the Locusts.  Meanwhile, Thorn's visions are becoming more threatening and Phoney Bone is conviced Atheia is rich in gold, and he is determined to find it.

Bone #9  Crown of Horns

From the Publisher
It's full-fledged war as Briar, the rat creatures, and the Pawan army storm the city of Atheia where the Bones, Thorn, and Gran'ma Ben are up in arms to defend the royal city.  When Thorn hears a voice urging her to seek the Crown of Horns, Thorn and Fone Bone embark on another dangerous journey as they race to find the one thing that may save them all.


Bone Prequel:  Rose

From the Publisher

When a terrifying dragon attacks the small towns of the Northern Valley, Princess Rose must defeat the bloodthirsty beast, who is possessed by the evil Lord of the Locusts.  While Rose faces the danger with honor, her elder sister, Princess Briar, follows a more sinister path.


My Thoughts

After approximately 8 years of giving my son one excuse after another, I've finished the Bone Series by Jeff Smith.  I went through the first book very quickly, having to ask my son for the next book within hours.  He stated with a sly smile, "you enjoyed the book did you Mom?  I told you".  I had some trouble at first, my eyes would always go to the wrong speech bubble , so my son had to teach me, follow them from top to bottom. 

The artistry in these books is phenomenal, I haven't read a book with pictures, in years, LOL. I think I still like reading novels better, can't ever imagine me picking up a graphic novel again.  Don't get me wrong the story line was fantastic (to my surprise), I found that I was stay awake at night to finish the book I had started earlier, I guess I would then call it a page turner for sure.  I would also class the story as epic, many times I felt I was reminded of The Lord of the Rings.

Would I recommend this series?  Most definitely and have already.

Signing off till next time
L

No comments:

Post a Comment