Book Reviews, Crafting, Recipes ~ Anything and Everything in between.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Vanilla Spice Oatmeal



I love this oatmeal and have made it many times, it's a huge hit with David.  I usually half the recipe, make it the night before and reheat in the microwave.

Prep Time:   10 minutes
Cook Time:  10 minutes
Serves:         4 Servings


INGREDIENTS

3 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch nutmeg
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, plus more, to taste
1 cup lowfat milk, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon



DIRECTIONS

In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil.  Stir in the oats and raisins, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, uncovered, for 5 minutes.  I use old fashioned oats which usually take longer about 10 minutes.

In the meantime, place nuts, if using, in a dry skillet over a medium-high flame, and toast, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes.  Set aside.

When the oats are cooked remove pan from the flame and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg.  Swirl in the brown sugar and place the oatmeal in serving bowls.  Pour 1/4 cup of milk on top of each bowl, and top with toasted nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Recipe from the Cooking Channel.

3 comments:

  1. yummy yummy.. I loved this recipe Lisa..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this recipe last night. I was also making one dish of pear crisp for my son, Nathaniel (he isn't a fan of oatmeal. I had half a pear left over so I sliced it and added it to the saucepan with the oats and raisins.

    ReplyDelete