Book Reviews, Crafting, Recipes ~ Anything and Everything in between.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Slow-Cooker Chestnut Stew

I have to admit I didn't have time to work with chestnuts, so I used water chestnuts instead.  They were crunchy and added a nice texture to this meal.  I will definitely try this recipe again with the chestnuts when I have more time. 

This stew was cooked in the slow cooker for 7 hours, placed in the refrigerator overnight and warmed for supper the next day.  Extremely flavourful.

This recipe was found in Tosca Reno's The East-Clean Diet Cookbook.  Trust me there is nothing diet tasting about this dish.


INGREDIENTS

3 lbs lean, boneless bison or beef, cut into 1 inch chunks ( I used beef )
1/3 cup flour of your choice ( I used whole wheat )
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp dried oregano crumbled
1 tbsp dried basil crumbled
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped fine
4 cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press
2 thick carrots, peeled and chopped
2 thick parsnips, peeled and chopped
4 ribs celery, trimmed and chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup of steamed chestnuts, chopped ( I one can of water chestnuts )
1 tbsp tomato paste ( I didn't use this ingredient )
3 cups water, beef or vegetable stock  ( I used vegetable stock )


PREPARATION

In a container with a lid, place the flour, sea salt, pepper, oregano and basil.  Put the lid on the container and shake.  Now add the cubed meat and shake again to coat each piece with flour and seasonings.  Set aside.

In a large skillet, place olive oil and set over medium-high heat. Remove the meat cubes from the flour mixture one at a time.  This ensures no excess of flour, and the coating on each cube will not be disturbed.  Place the meat in the skillet.  You may have to brown it in batches.  Once the meat is nicely browned, remove from the skillet.  Place the meat in the bowl of a slow cooker.  Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, mix gently and set to high.   Cook covered for 6 hours.  Serve hot!

Signing off till next time.
L

No comments:

Post a Comment