Book Reviews, Crafting, Recipes ~ Anything and Everything in between.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Death Comes To Pemberly

Death Comes To PemberleyDeath Comes To Pemberley by P.D. James
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is the first novel I’ve read, written by P.D. James and Pride & Prejudice has to be one of my favourite books.

Death Comes to Pemberly, was much better then the Harlequin trashy type sequels that have been printed. One thing I’ve learned from reading the sequels, if you want a Jane Austen novel then re-read one. Don’t go looking for Pride & Prejudice in another book, it just isn’t there.

I didn’t care for the retelling of P&P, to me this is a sequel to the original story, what a great opportunity for new readers to be introduced to P&P, they want to know what happened they should read it. Not only did the retelling take up a lot of time in this book but it gave a view from the Meryton townsfolk regarding Elizabeth’s capture of Mr. Darcy that I personally didn’t care for.

I wasn’t surprised that Lydia was holding a grudge, but disappointed that Charlotte Lucas was. I didn’t feel that Charlotte was upset with Elizabeth in P&P after her marriage to Mr. Collin’s so why that carried into this book was a puzzle to me.

I would have liked more interaction between the Darcy’s and when the chance came at the end for some quiet time, their discussion seemed strange to me. After six years of marriage, you would think they would have ironed out their issues already.

Regardless of the negative points mentioned above, once started I was captured, pleased to spend time with beloved Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy.

View all my reviews

Signing off till next time.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment